Monday, January 16, 2012

Is there anything better than a bowl of noodle soup?


Pho is defined by Webster as a "vietnamese noodle soup". I will say that these are three little words that do not do this dish ANY justice. I will say that Pho is the soup that eats like a meal (a large meal). It is the meal that is bottomless and keeps on giving. Pho is SO MUCH more than any soup I have ever had the opportunity to enjoy and I am thrilled to live in a city that offers so many delicious options.

Pho begins at its ground level as a deep and dark beef broth that has a heaping amount of rice noodles, cilantro, thai basil, onions, and different cuts of beef throughout. From what I understand, the broth becomes so rich and full of flavor from the slow and low cooking down of beef bones from the meat they used the day prior. The lovely folks at Pho Grand in Chinatown, NYC do this soup right! We went for some Pho on a frigid Sunday afternoon this month and had the best meal we have enjoyed in Chinatown in a while. After ordering by the letter and number, the waiter brought over a large dish that has a bunch of extra fix ins on it. This dish included lemon wedges for acidity, a mound of crisp bean sprouts for texture, and extra thai basil for earthiness. YUMMY! A squeeze of the hoisin on the table and some spice if you like and you are ready to dig in.

I opted for the top round brisket and extra veggies on this trip, but I think that I am beginning to open my mind to different cuts on meat in my Pho. One of the best things about this particular mean is that even after getting your soup facial, you don't feel full or heavy. It is easy to taste and see that all of the ingredients are fresh, light, and crisp from start to finish. May I also mention the bill for two large bowls of Pho, 2 diet cokes, and spring rolls=$20!!!

I am getting hungry, so if I type anymore I will find myself back in Chinatown. That being said, I will end this post for now and bid you all happy eating and a warm winter!

Look out for more soups in the weeks to come...

Pho Grand
277 Grand Street New York, NY 10002

No comments:

Post a Comment