Saturday, May 12, 2012

Home is Where the Hotdog is...

I was a 10 year old pimply, overweight, awkward kid at the time of my first New York Mets game. My father began taking us much younger, but that was my age of my first vivid memory. The field was Shea Stadium and It was a giant that lured me with its lush bright green field. Shea quickly felt like home to me. For 8 consecutive years, I was treated to so many games with my dad at Shea that I lost count. Yet, if I could sum up those years of baseball with him in one word, it would be unforgettable. He died in 2001 and left me with the sometimes painful chore of being a Mets fan.

Visiting any baseball stadium is a tour of all the senses, and Shea was no different. The moment you handed your ticket in and went through security, the smells of grilled hot dogs and sausage and peppers slapped you in the face. Unfortunately, Shea Stadium was closed and turned into a parking lot for the Mets new stadium some years back and Opening Day at Citi Field was in 2009. Although I continue to mourn Shea's demolition for a few personal reasons, I am glad that now in its shadow is another haven for NY sports fans.


Citi Field is not only the new home to the New York Mets, but quickly became the destination for food lovers across the tri-state area. To start off, Danny Meyer-the brilliant mind behind Union Square Cafe, Blue Smoke, and the forever growing Shake Shack empire, teamed up with the Mets to bring a few of his tastiest creations to the masses at Citi Field. Throw in a few pommes frites kiosks, Two Boots Pizza, and dozens of craft beers, you have a gastronomic adventure that even the most particular and stuck up eater will encounter this side of the Flushing Bay.

It has now been a few seasons since Citi Field opened to the public. I have yet to try everything at the park, but certainly am trying. I have had the opportunity to enjoy ribs and pulled pork at Blue Smoke, a juicy Shake Shack Burger and fries, pizza, ice cream, and more chicken sandwiches and tenders than I can count. Yet, nothing compares to the true baseball treats that I crave. Doug joked with me on our most recent trip to the ballpark regarding my game time musts. I realize i am crazy, but there is a definite rhythm to my baseball menu. There are phases (courses if you will) spread over 9 innings and it is broken down below.

1) Usually, a hot dog or 2 is a must before we even hit the seats for first pitch. A beer and fries are usual accompaniments to the Nathan's dogs that I consume as well.
2) Sometime around the 3/4 inning I get up and grab the "snack" portion of the meal. A bag of salted roasted peanuts is a must and always has been in my life. A soft pretzel from the seat vendors rounds it all out.
3) Beer #2 is purchased sometime around the 5th inning and the peanuts are broken open top of the 6th.
4) 7th inning stretch time is usually the wild card and I either go for some carvel or try something new on the sweet side.
*often times I never get to the sweets course bc the peanuts and their salt have sucked the life from me, but so worth it.


Our most recent trip found My Fiancé craving something new. He opted for the pastrami sandwich. This stand is located on the field level and serves pastrami on rye with pickles. It was tasty. It was juicy and made with love, but for $12, I will save that for Katz'.


We both got our beers from the craft beer kiosk next to Blue Smoke on this trip. I tried a Widmer Hefeweizen and Doug got a local IPA. They really hit the spot along side the salty and greasy deliciousness that we indulged in.

The bottom line about eating and being at Citi Field is easy. Come prepared to eat great food, spend even greater prices and enjoy the game with great people by your side. Try it all and pace yourself. Honestly, in summation, if you want Shake Shack, go to Madison Square Park. Opt instead for some Nathan's hot dogs and crinkle fries. This way you will grab and go and not miss 1/2 the game waiting for your burger. (Promise me though that you will try Shake Shack in the coarse of your life, too good to miss!)

Baseball defines tradition in my mind. It is a part of me and the NY Mets will forever be my team. Although I am sad to be without Shea Stadium and my father each Spring/Summer, I keep tradition alive now with multiple outings to the Mets new home at Citi Field. I also keep their memory thriving by experiencing baseball the best way that i can imagine; with my Dad in my heart and peanut shells crunching under my feet.


Happy Mother's Day to all and Happy Eating!!!

Location:Brooklyn, New York

No comments:

Post a Comment