Thursday, April 26, 2012

My Comfort Food




For as long as I can remember, I have loved the combination of broccoli and sweet Italian sausage. When I was around 11, I spent the night at my Aunt and Uncle's manhattan apartment where she made me my first bowl of Orechiette pasta with sausage and broccoli. My aunt was the woman who throughout my childhood would get me to try foods whether I wanted to or not. She used to say, "what's the worst that happens, you spit it out?"

Words like those have gotten me to try many things over the years and as a result I love brussel sprouts, chickpeas, and why I get to share this recipe with you today. To be honest, I am glad I have tried so much because I wouldn't be writing here today if I hadn't.

Pasta with broccoli and Italian sausage

Ingredients:

1 lb sweet Italian pork or turkey sausage removed from casings
2 heads of broccoli
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
2 tablespoons of butter
2 cups of chicken stock
1 lb rigatoni
Red chili flakes (optional)

Directions:

1) Heat EVOO in a skillet and brown sausage over medium/high heat
2) Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add pasta.
3) When sausage has some color on it and no longer pink, turn to medium and add in minced garlic. cook for two minutes.
4) Stir to combine and pour In chicken stock. Allow to come to simmer. Drain your pasta and set aside.


5) Once the sausage has had a chance to simmer with garlic and stock, stir in broccoli and let cook for 3-5 minutes covered.


6) Uncover and allow broccoli to soften to your liking. I usually cook another 3-5 minutes.
7) Add butter and cheese and stir to combine. Cook another minute and add more stock if you desire a thinner sauce.
8) Add your cooked pasta to skillet and stir to combine. Add stock or cheese as you wish.
9) Remove from heat and stir once every 30 seconds for 2 minutes to ensure even coating. Serve with red pepper on the side or cheese for topping and eat up!

Tips:

*For a different spin on this recipe, you may also try using whole wheat pasta for more fiber or sub broccoli rabe or kale for broccoli. Just be sure to use a pasta that has ridges to soak up the sauce.
*Try serving the broccoli and sausage concoction on its own with a green salad and some crusty Italian bread for an alternate to the pasta.


Enjoy this comforting meal and happy eating!!!

Location:Carlton Ave,Brooklyn,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment