Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Sahadi's


If you asked me to make a list of the things that I love to do on any given day, I could do that easily. I love walking my dogs in the park next to my home, sitting on our roof deck on a beautiful day, jogging for my sanity, and cooking anything. All of that being said, if you asked me the opposite, I would have to say that I do not enjoy watching people being mean or rude to anyone, being pushed daily on the subway, and standing in unruly and long lines. I am so sorry to begin this post with something negative, but there it is-I hate waiting in lines. Lines test my patience, especially disorganized ones. Yet, there is almost always an exception to the rule. In the case of this particular blog entry, the exception is Sahadi's.
Sahadi's is a market located at 187 Atlantic Avenue in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn. They sell a delicious combo of dry goods in bulk bins and exotic prepared and grocery items. Sahadi's is coined as a Middle EasternThis space has quickly become a go to shopping destination for our household. You can visit their website @ Sahadis.com to see some of the items that I am speaking of. They have a huge online following and you can order items shipped straight to your home 24/7, but I suggest getting yourself to Brooklyn to fully understand the lure that is Sahadi's.

Sahadi's has some of the most amazingly unbeatable prices on dried fruits, nuts, and grains. You can buy by the pound anything from dried apples to candied dried chickpeas! I feel as though this represents and captures the cross roads of Brooklyn in the best form. When you enter, you must take a ticket from the little red dispensary that is easily missed on a crowded day. We have waited on line for 2 minutes on some visits and 30 minutes on others. However, this Saturday @ 4pm, we waited 40 minutes. This wait is worth every minute, and this is a great opportunity to people watch. I feel that the make up of the line is a sociological study in its self. At any given point in time, you can be waiting on line with business execs, hipsters, moms with kids in tow, couples, families, and some folks that look as though they have been shopping here since Sahadi's opened.
Our regular shopping list is pretty tame. We love the Turkish apricots, dried cherries, oats, almonds, and figs. Each bag of these items is hand packed by one of the VERY fast and friendly guys employed at Sahadi's, and if you are lucky, you will get samples of anything you like. The guys that work there never rush you and are always happy to offer suggestions on their array of cheeses and olives. We have not yet experienced the freshly prepared foods that Sahadi's makes in house, but if the line this weekend is any indication, go for it! For someone that is more health conscious, it is so refreshing to have many delicious and affordable things to choose from in one local establishment. There was a point in time where we were shopping at Sahadi's once a month or so when we did a Trader Joe's run. Yet, now we are finding more and more excuses to head toward that neck of the woods weekly.

To some it all up, Sahadi's is so much more than a market or grocery. There is a vibe and a history within the walls that sucks you in and taunts you with its array of goods. Please add Sahadi's to your must do list when visiting NYC or Brooklyn. I promise you that you will not be disappointed. I hope you get to explore and enjoy life during this week of beautiful weather. Be well and happy eating!!!

Sahadi's
187 Atlantic Avenue
Brooklyn, New York
11201
(718) 624-4550

Hours of Operation:
Monday-Saturday 9am-7pm

No comments:

Post a Comment