Friday, September 7, 2012

Farewell, Summer.


While all the teachers mourn the last days of summer vacation, I stand with arms open to welcome the Fall. I feel that I have certainly made the best out of the summer 2012. Truth be told, most of it was spent within the walls of a nursing home(9-5 job). However, with all the 90-100 degree days that May-July brought NYC, I am beyond grateful.

As a part of my job description, I have to work on the weekends. It isn't as bad as it sounds, but it does put a damper on a weekend. We rotate weekend days amongst the department, so I have a Sunday every 5-7 weeks. This means that during the week following a Sunday, I get to have a day off on a weekday. Usually my days off involve some meaningless errands or a trip to see a doctor that I haven't had a moment to follow up with in a while. My last one was possibly the best one yet. On my most recent day, my love and I set our sights on The High Line Park. The weather couldn't have been more gorgeous. Temperatures began in the sixties that morning and quickly rose to a near perfect 80 w/ the lowest humidity that I have felt in weeks.


The High Line is a true treasure on the West Side of Manhattan in Chelsea. This elevated park stretches along the westside with access points throughout from the street (see below). It continues to be a work in progress with the third and final phase of construction to begin soon. Amongst the highlights on the High Line, food, vibe and views reign. Brooklyn's own Bark Hot Dogs and People's Pops are both offered at their own small grab and go outposts, while Manhattan's well known Terroir Wine Bar is one of the seated options. It is a feast for the eyes and bellies. Apartment buildings have been built around this park and look like art. Lucky tenants over there in Chelsea.

Access Points along the High Line Park:
  • Gansevoort Street
  • 14th Street (elevator access)
  • West 16th Street (elevator access)
  • West 18th Street
  • West 20th Street
  • 23rd Street (elevator access)
  • West 26th Street
  • West 28th Street
  • West 30th Street (elevator access)

    The only negative part of our trip was that we arrived onto The High Line at exactly the wrong time for a lunch table. The park was buzzing with the lunching businessmen, mommy meet ups and tourists. Quickly realizing that the word got out that this was a perfect day, we walked to about 19th and decided that we would go eat off the park. Our lunch date was held at CookShop, a restaurant that has been on my radar for a while, but we are never in the area. Pictured below, i had a chicken breast salad that proved to be filling and satisfying. We also shared a perfectly seasoned and composed chilled heirloom soup. Although the dessert menu was tempting, they were fancy, pricey and complicated. Although i am sure delicious, we wanted simple, maybe a Popsicle.


    Feeling full and a little tipsy (Tramini wine with lunch), we returned to the park after 215pm. The crowds had thinned by this time and a new batch of folks were out and about. After frolicking barefooted in the most artistic fountains I have ever seen (they looked like a little stream), we found ourselves one of the coveted lounge chairs for two. The designers of the High Line built beautiful benches and chaises onto the old tracks, so they are moveable (way cool!). Our seat was in front of a drummer who provided the passersbys with some soft beats.The tapping and banging of the drums had us in a daze. With the breeze and the drum as our soundtrack, we sat for almost 2 hours chatting and getting lost in the afternoon. To me, this truly exemplified a perfect end to Summer in our perfect city.


    Days like the one I had on the High Line are few and far between in August. Sadly, soon after that day, the swampy air returned and the a/c was cranked yet again. It has been swell, but I am ready to move on from you, Summer. Many may disagree with me, but I am ready for what Fall and Winter have to offer. My sweaters, corduroys and apple picking hands are ready, willing and able. Although I may have enjoyed not sharing my daily commutes with school kids, I feel that it is a fair trade for the crisper air that awaits.

    Forgive me for my less food driven rambling this week. With Fall near, you can rest assured that there will be recipes involving apples, squash and cinnamon in the not too far off future. With 6 weeks left of CSA distributions to go, seasonal produce will be the focus next week.

    Enjoy the last 2 weeks of the official season of Summer. Happy eating!

    Location:NYC, NY

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment