Sunday, August 12, 2012

Have Guac, Will Travel.

What a crazy start to August this has been. I have run around so much that I haven't had a chance to write this week, so here I am. The days fly by so quickly that I find myself wishing the clock would stop or slow. I must admit though, this summer in particular has taught me more about how to slow down and take it in. I am getting the hang of it, but am a work in progress. More time is being taken for me to cultivate, rejuvenate and explore. It feels great. The kitchen has been a home base for more exploration this summer, but this weeks recipe is an old standby that I haven't prepared in about 5 years. See, time does fly!

The recipe I am sharing is for guacamole. It is a twist on Alton Brown's well received recipe, but with a few omissions and alterations. It is his method of coating the avocados in lime juice prior to mashing that I feel really makes all the difference. That is a trick I will keep in my arsenal. Another tip, is to make sure to also work with the most ripe produce you can find. It helps when you mash.


Ingredients

9 hass avocados, scooped
3 limes, juiced
1 medium red onion, diced
1 cup chopped cilantro
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt


Directions

1) In a large bowl place the scooped avocado pulp and lime juice, toss to coat.
2) Drain, and reserve the lime juice, after all of the avocados have been coated.
3) Using a potato masher add the salt and mash.
4) Fold in the onions, cilantro, and garlic.
5) Add reserved lime juice. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour and then serve with your favorite chips or as we did, along side some tacos!

Tip:
* Use the largest bowl that you can find for mashing. This will give great surface area to mash away.
* Taste as you go. Flavors build and build and you don't want any one flavor to overpower.


This particular batch made exactly enough to fill these two containers pictured above. I recommend these containers in all sizes in your Tupperware drawer/closet. They stack and store great. Not to mention, you don't have to worry about getting your "good" containers back at nights end when bringing items to someones home. Win win.


Although this batch produced ALOT of guac, it still wasn't enough. 13 people were at the mexican themed backyard party that I made this recipe for. Yet, i witnessed grown adults scraping the side of the bowl to ensure that every morsel was consumed of the green stuff. That made me happy, but I may need 15 avocados next time. Oh yes, a great rule of thumb for guacamole is to figure between 1/2-1 avocado per guest if they are very hungry! These guests most definitely were.

Happy eating to one and all!!!

Location:Brooklyn, NYC

No comments:

Post a Comment